"If some things were different, other things would be otherwise.
Griffin and the Minor Canon" by Frank Stockton
Return to Overview of Design, Process and Outcomes
Habits of Mind
- How do you know what you know? What's the evidence? Is it credible?
- What point of view are you hearing, seeing, reading? Who is the author? Where is she/he standing? What are his/her intentions?
- How are things connected to each other? How does "it" fit in? Where have you heard or seen this before?
- What if...? Supposing that...? Can you imagine alternatives? How might things be otherwise?
- What significance does it have? Why is this important? Who cares?
With thanks to Mark Gordon November 3, 1996
and Deborah Meier who founded Central Park East schools in New York City.